$4.99


Great ORIGINAL Postcard measuring 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" featuring The Americana Hotel, The hotel of the Americas in

BEL HARBOUR

MIAMI BEACH

This postcard is in great shape. It sure a great 1960's colorful image of this Florida Landmark at Oceanfront at 97th Street. It was one of the world's most famous resort hotels.

It's a great souvenir postcard if you love Miami or ever stayed at this resort!

Shop with confidence! This is part of our in-store inventory from our shop which is has been located in the heart of Hollywood where we have been in business for OVER 40 years!

Bal Harbour is a village in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. The population was 3,305 at the 2000 census.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2). 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (42.37%) is water.

Bal Harbour Florida is located on the northern tip of the barrier island commonly referred to as Miami Beach; it is the northern-most barrier island in a chain that extends southward up to and including Key West, Florida.

The main traffic corridor running south to north through Bal Harbour is Collins Avenue, also demarked as Florida State Highway A1A.

A channel between the north end of Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic ocean runs across the northern end of Bal Harbour.

A bridge, maintained by the State of Florida connects Bal Harbour to Haulover Park, to the north. Haulover Park is maintained by the Miami Dade Parks Commission.

As of the census of 2000, there were 3,305 people, 1,908 households, and 812 families residing in the village. The population density was 9,791.4 inhabitants per square mile (3,753.1/km²). There were 3,150 housing units at an average density of 9,332.2 per square mile (3,577.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.46% White (73.4% were Non-Hispanic White,) 1.63% African American, 0.00% Native American, 0.82% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.12% from other races, and 1.88% from two or more races. 23.00% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There were 1,908 households out of which 9.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.1% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 57.4% were non-families. 50.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 24.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.73 and the average family size was 2.49.

In the village the population was spread out with 10.2% under the age of 18, 3.7% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 37.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 55 years. For every 100 females there were 75.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.6 males.

The median income for a household in the village was $47,148, and the median income for a family was $83,570. Males had a median income of $51,227 versus $44,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $67,680. About 5.6% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.5% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over. This data only reflects reported income, not overall wealth.

As of 2000, speakers of English as a first language accounted for 58.29% of residents, while Spanish was at 35.13%, Polish at 2.62%, French 2.13%, Portuguese 0.98%, and Russian made up 0.82% of the population.

Since the 1920s, the Detroit-based Miami Beach Heights Corporation (headed by industrialists Robert C. Graham, Walter O. Briggs, and C.T. Fisher) owned 245 acres (0.99 km2) of undeveloped, partially swampy land that stretched from the bay to the Atlantic. Mr. Graham assumed the duties as the developer for Bal Harbour. In the 1930s, city planners Harland Bartholomew & Associates were called in to design the Village. The company made several plans and they were submitted for review to Miami Beach Heights.

In 1940, World War II began and the plans were put on hold. As a goodwill gesture to the government, Robert C. Graham rented the land to the United States Air Corps for $1 per year. The Air Corps used this land to train their soldiers and established a Prisoner of War camp. The ocean front area was used as a rifle range and the barracks were set up on the west side of Collins Avenue. The camp for prisoners was located where the Bal Harbour Shops are presently.

In 1945, the war was over in both Germany and Japan. The Air Corps left the barracks buildings as a thank you to the owners of the property. These barracks were converted into apartment homes by Mr. Graham in 1946.

In order to incorporate a city in 1946, there had to be at least 25 male registered voters residing in the area. Mr. Graham had twenty five families move into the apartment homes that he had converted in order to qualify the Village for incorporation. He then hired Willard Webb, a Miami Beach tax assessor, to draft a charter for the Village. After the charter was completed, the Village of Bal Harbour was incorporated on August 14, 1946, by Mr. Graham and 25 male registered voters. The Village was operated under the city manager form of government.

The Council established a volunteer fire department.

Swampland was filled, sea walls were constructed and the yacht basin was created. Contracts were signed for the sewer systems, water pumping stations and utilities. Bal Harbour was the first planned community in Florida to have its utilities placed underground. Developers set guidelines for the development of the beachfront and the residential areas. Collins Avenue was paved into four lanes with a landscaped median and later widened to the present day six lanes. Village plans indicated that ocean front property was to be 200 feet (61 m) deep and lots approached $100,000. Lots in the residential area were about 1,800 square feet (170 m2) and cost from $6,500 to $20,000.

The first hotel was built and was named "The Kenilworth By-the-Sea." It was built by Tom Raffington and made famous by Arthur Godfrey. It has since been demolished and is now the Kenilworth Condominium. The first home was built at 160 Bal Cross Drive. It was built by Mr. Robert C. Graham Jr., who was the son of Bal Harbour Developer Robert C. Graham. Construction for the Sea View Hotel was started.

Bal Harbour Village was re-incorporated by a special act of the 1947 Florida Legislature and its own charter was issued June 16. This new charter supplemented the original incorporation under the General Laws of Florida. In accordance with the new charter, an election to select five to serve on the Council was held June 30. The Council elected were: Edward L. Bonneau, Robert C. Graham, Jr., Glenn E. Massnick, George Whittaker, and Judge Julien Southerland. Judge Southerland was chosen as mayor. Willard Webb, who had been acting manager since the first organization, was appointed as Village Manager. Mary Wetterer was named Village Clerk and Herold Dickey was appointed Chief of Police.

In 1947, the Church by the Sea was built.

In 1948, the Beach Club was built. Its restaurant was operated by Howard Johnson's.

In 1949, a new bridge was started over Baker Haulover.

In 1956, the current Village Hall was built.

In 1956, the Hotel Americana was built. It became the Sheraton Hotel in 1980. It was imploded on November 18, 2007 to build a set of condos and a luxury aparthotel as the St. Regis.

In 1959, Bal Harbour's beach was renovated due to severe erosion.

In 1965, the Bal Harbour Shops was built by the Whitman family. Stanley Whitman was one of the incorporators who lived with his family in the barrack apartments.

In 1971, Bal Harbour's beach started a major renourishment project.

In 1984, the residents of an exclusive neighborhood in Bal Harbour were successfully sued to remove the clause preventing Jews from owning property there.

In 2008, The new Regent Bal Harbour opened, becoming the northern gateway to the Village.

In 2012, The last oceanfront undeveloped Beach Club site was sold for $220 million in order to make way to the ultra luxury Oceana at Bal Harbour.

For more than 30 years, Bal Harbour hosted an annual meeting of the AFL-CIO Executive Council.

The original name chosen for Bal Harbour was Bay Harbour. However, the planning committee didn't think that was appropriate for a city that was on the beach.

A name was invented to encompass a city that ran from the bay to the Atlantic Ocean. The "b" was taken from the word bay and the "a" and "l" were taken from the name Atlantic.

Hence the word "Bal" was created.

The Village of Bal Harbour

Bal Harbour, established in 1946, is a dynamic international destination comprising just one square mile on the northern tip of Miami Beach. With perfectly manicured streets, pristine beaches, luxury design, extraordinary Bal Harbour shopping, superior dining and location, this stunning village is one of the globe's wealthiest with hotels that have long been visited by the world's dignitaries, celebrities and presidents.

Bal Harbour Florida offers exclusivity, prime location and one of the most select zip codes in America. It is conveniently positioned 18 miles from two international airports (Miami and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood), and near South Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove and Miami attractions. Even its first name had to be created since a word to describe its location didn't exist. The "b" was taken from the word "bay" and the "al" from "Atlantic" to create "Bal," signifying a city running from the bay to the Atlantic Ocean.

The Village boasts an immaculately landscaped beach with snorkeling, wind-surfing, parasailing, swimming and deep sea fishing. In addition, there are dozens of championship golf courses, including the Miami Beach Golf Club, minutes away. For more strenuous exercise, the $3 million jogging track along the beach is the only beachfront path of its type in South Florida.

Bal Harbour, A Timeline

The vision for the Village of Bal Harbour began in 1929 when Miami Beach Heights, a Detroit-based real estate development corporation, purchased the raw land. Headed by industrialist Robert C. Graham, Miami Beach Heights hired one of the era's leading urban planning firms, Harland Bartholomew & Associates, to design the master plan. From the beginning, the Village was envisioned as a modern community that would maintain exceptionally high standards, provide superior services and foster civic pride.

The advent of World War II brought plans to an abrupt halt and Graham leased the land to the U.S. Air Corps for $1 a year. The area that would become the site of the Sheraton Bal Harbour became a center of year-round training, complete with barracks and a rifle range, and a prisoner-of-war camp – on the current site of Bal Harbour Shops – housed German prisoners. Soldiers stationed up and down Miami Beach marched north for maneuvers to the area known as "tent city".

In the 1950's, Bal Harbour and Miami Beach were America's Riviera and a magnet for the nation's top musicians and entertainers. Count Basie and Guy Lombardo could be seen having drinks at the Ivanhoe's Pump Room Lounge. Frank Sinatra and his Rat Pack frequented the Americana's Carnival Supper Club. Arthur Godfrey brought media attention to the area when he broadcast his radio and television shows from the Kenilworth Hotel. Other television personalities, including Jackie Gleason and Ed Sullivan, followed suit.

Over the years, many important events and national conventions have taken place at Bal Harbour's hotels. The Americana Hotel - which became the Sheraton Bal Harbour in 1980 - was an ideal location and one of the most glamorous resorts in South Florida. Designed by Morris Lapidus, the legendary architect of neo-baroque modern Miami, and built by the Tisch family in the 1950's, it hosted three nationally televised AFL-CIO Constitutional Conventions with Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon at the podium. Later, the Sheraton was President Clinton's favorite hotel and a venue for the Summit of the Americas in 1994.

For 50-plus years, the Sheraton Bal Harbour graced the Village's coastline. The hotel was demolished in 2007 to make way for the new St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort.

Recently, the Village of Bal Harbour came full circle when the highly-anticipated St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort – one of the nation's most impressive oceanfront developments – lead the renaissance and opened to reveal the affluent enclave as a coveted international destination; a discerning traveler's secluded escape with unrivaled amenities and at the intersection of the world's best art, design and fashion. The opening also represented a significant moment for St. Regis – the modern expression of the brand and a defining vision of a St. Regis flagship carrying forth time-honored traditions to inspire its next chapter.

This item is part of our in-store inventory from our shop which is located in the heart of Hollywood where we have been in business for the past 40 years!

MIAMI BEACH AMERICANA Hotel FLORIDA Postcard 1960's
Item #BMM0000945